Friday, February 22, 2008

Learning Japanese

We were having a girly afternoon, and en route to our mani/pedi at Snails, we popped into Sun with Moon in Wheelock Place. I’ve never really got all the hype around Japanese food, and yet so many of my friends insist it is their absolute favourite, so I am trying to learn what all the fuss is about.

Turns out it was Valentine’s day and the place was packed with loving couples, so my friend and I did our best to gaze adoringly at each other as we looked over the menu. The thing to go for at lunch time here, it seems, is the individual set course – this comprises a dish of either beef, chicken, seafood or salmon and comes together with rice, soup (miso or noodle depending on whether you choose Set A or B), sashimi and a some melon.



I went for the chicken dish and the noodle soup, which was pretty good, although there was so much food, there was no way I was going to come close to finishing it.


I guess this wasn’t helped by the fact that we ordered a rather large portion of Mixed Tempura to begin with (not on the menu but they happily obliged). This was actually my favourite part of the meal, so I’m glad we were ultra-greedy and went for it… a selection of prawns, scallops, fish, peppers, aubergine in a light crisp batter… and that funny spiky thing in the middle that we never did figure out what it was…


So have I been converted to a Japanese food craver? Not yet… but I did enjoy the meal… and I shall continue in my quest to understand the hype…

Sun with Moon - http://www.sfbi.com.sg/sun/wheelock/wheelock_e.html

1 comment:

  1. The last time I went home I ate 4 times in this restaurant. Their canapés with Foie Gras were pretty good and I like the fact that I didn't need to eat raw food. Lunch was a good bargain too, lucky people those who could hang around Wheelock in the day.

    ReplyDelete