Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Gourmet Burger

If you’re a regular reader, you will know that Mr Greedy Glutton and I love a good burger, and it is something we have struggled to find since moving to Singapore. So I was interested to read on Chubby Hubby’s website of a new joint in town, dedicated to the gourmet burger. So last Sunday we dragged ourselves out of bed and jumped in a cab headed for Bukit Timah road and to Relish.

We were both going to go for the Bacon & Cheese Burger, but were encouraged by our waiter to be a bit more adventurous (quite right, what were we thinking?!) so Mr Greedy Glutton ended up with the Mexican Burger (jalapenos, salsa, guacamole) and I opted for the Wild Rocket Burger, which was the original burger from the owners’ other restaurant, Wild Rocket, that inspired the whole idea for Relish. This came with sun dried tomato salsa and a pepper sauce.



There’s no mistaking it, these were good burgers, well seasoned, fresh, toasted buns, well cooked (if you don’t mind your mince rare), and interesting accompanying salsas and sauces. They are very thick and high though, and so not that easy to eat and I noticed most people were tackling theirs with a knife and fork (not me, half the fun is to have the juices running down your arms isn't it?!) It’s a great location to enjoy a burger too – a cool and laid-back atmosphere with friendly and attentive service.


What I was extremely impressed with though, was the onion rings. I often order onion rings, as I like the sound of them, but I rarely actually enjoy them (so why do I always order them? Because I’m greedy… and I live in hope of enjoying them). Well today was the day, these were the tastiest onion rings ever, tasty, soft onions in a light, crisp batter – perfect.


Had we not recently discovered the Wine Garage burger, we would have been very excited by Relish indeed. For us though, the Wine Garage burger is still the current favourite, and for us Clarke Quay is a whole lot easier to get to than Bukit Timah road.

Those Relish burgers don’t look that big when they arrive at your table, but let me tell you, they certainly fill you up… luckily the Botanical Gardens are a hop, skip and a jump away for walking off your lunch… not that you’ll be able to hop, skip or jump after eating here…

Relish – http://www.wildrocket.com.sg/relish.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment