Thursday, May 22, 2008

Lunch at Dempsey

My mother-in-law was visiting so I took her to meet ‘the girls’ for lunch. We’d been trying to take her to all the different eating emporiums throughout Singapore but hadn’t managed Dempsey yet, so we opted for P.S Café, where we could lunch amongst the foliage.

The first thing I love about the P.S menu is the juices – a range of fresh juices and other, more interesting concoctions, which you know are going to make you healthy just by looking at them, such as freshly squeezed lemon juice with fresh ginger.

We were running a little late, so by the time we arrived my hungry friends had ordered some ‘chips and dips’ to tide them over. A huge plateful of bread (eventually) arrived, laden with fresh crusty bread, and with a choice of three dips – Hummous, Spinach and Ricotta, and Red Pepper. The hummous was better than a lot of places in Singapore (I have yet to find one that would entice me back though), but the dips in general were a tad lacking in flavour, I felt.



The main courses (of course) arrived before we were through with our dips, and we had ordered a fairly eclectic mix. First up was the Pumpkin Salad, which was sensationally presented, although I didn’t get to sample it.


The Zucchini Pancakes from the Brunch menu, which came served with Roasted Tomatoes, Crispy Bacon and a Balsamic -dressed Salad – this being a major hit with those that ordered it.


I, rather boringly, but on trusted advice, went for the Club Sandwich.


Immediately noticeable was the lack of layers of bread normally associated with the club sandwich, and in its place a toasted Ciabatta bun. I am guessing the decision for this was brought about by the sheer enormity of the sandwich with all its fillings… this bad boy came rammed full with Roast Chicken, Crispy Bacon, Fried Egg, Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato and Cranberry, a true whopper of a sandwich.


Now I have been ridiculed by my friends for this complaint – but you know, I just felt that this sandwich just had too much in it… There were so many flavours competing for attention in the same mouthful, that you just didn’t really end up tasting any of them… just a kind of mixed up mish-mash. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for experimental sandwiches, and also for large portions, but a) I didn’t feel particularly satisfied despite being completely stuffed full and b) I couldn’t even finish half my meal – completely shameful for a Greedy Glutton (did I mention in came with a side order of Fries also?!)

My greedy friends, who I admit hadn’t ordered such monstrous main courses as yours truly, decided on a cake to share for dessert. After much perusal of the menu, detailed discussion, and an excursion to the cake counter, the decision finally fell on the Carrot Cake. This was a hugely generous portion (lucky we asked for four spoons!) and was suitably sticky and moist and flavoursome, although it was generally agreed that the frosting could have been laid on a bit thicker.


So what’s the verdict? Well, the food wasn’t the best around, and the service definitely left something to be desired (the starter took an age to come, the main courses arrived 10mins apart of each other, two out of the four lattes arrived once the others and the carrot cake were all but finished…), but I enjoyed the meal enough to come back at a later date and the atmosphere definitely warrants a return visit… the location amongst the trees, the high ceilings, airy dining area and floor-to-ceiling windows all make this the perfect hangout for a relaxing tai tai lunch…

P.S Café - http://www.pscafe.sg/

No comments:

Post a Comment