Friday, June 5, 2009

Hokkien Prawn Mee

So I’ve finally handed in my book manuscript to my editor and I am once again free to blog! My research trail has taken me exploring all around Singapore – saw me swinging from trees, whizzing down water chutes, investigating World War II tunnels… and finding all sorts of new places to eat and drink. One of my favourite new finds has to be Kim’s Place Seafood in Joo Chiat.

Kims Place Seafood

I was actually in the area with a friend to check out the durians (more on that later) when we stumbled across Kim’s. The smells emanating from the open-air eatery enticed us inside, and once there, the numerous magazine and newspaper articles smothering the walls convinced us of the calibre of the establishment.

All accounts seemed to suggest that the Hokkien Prawn Mee was the dish to be ordering, so that was our first choice – and at just $4.00 a pop, we couldn’t go wrong. I’m not normally a huge fan of Prawn Mee, but this dish was enough to convince me otherwise – it was truly delicious with its rich seafood stock and juicy prawns.

Hokkien Prawn Mee

We obviously didn’t stop there – although the small order of Prawn Mee was certainly large enough for one person to fill up on. Instead we ploughed on with some Fried Pork on a Hot Plate,

Fried Pork on Hot Plate

some veggies and, because it was on special (and well, because we could) – some Cereal Lobster.

Cereal Lobster

What a feast – every dish was as good as the last and we left feeling very satisfied indeed. Kim’s is not really in my usual circle of movement, but I have already been back for a plate of the Prawn Mee, and would urge others to do the same.

Kim’s Place Seafood – www.kims.com.sg
37 Joo Chiat Place (Junction of Tembeling Road). Tel 6742 1119.

4 comments:

  1. yay! You're back! :) I had just discovered your blog when you vanished so am very glad to hear you are back. Looking forward to hearing more about your book too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hip Hip Hooray----so glad to have you back. I have been checking and checking and was afraid maybe you had left Singapore. Thank you for your latest wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Yes it's good to be back, I'd forgotten how much I enjoy writing my blog - and of course it gives me the perfect excuse to get out there and eat more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. am thinking about a trip to singapore in august, your food pictures have convinced me it's a good idea

    ReplyDelete