Monday, April 7, 2008

English Pub Lunch

While back in the UK visiting my parents, we made our way up the hill to the local pub, the Sportsman’s Inn… a typical English pub, with a fairly typical English pub menu (and I’m talking about the good ones), albeit slightly more adventurous and interesting than most.

Being in a Yorkshire pub, I couldn’t really see past the Fish & Chips… and once they arrived, I certainly couldn’t see past it – literally – it was the biggest helping of Fish & Chips I think I have seen in my life. Truly enormous. It was delicious too.

You could taste the beer in the crisp batter, the fish was fresh and well cooked, the chips were homemade and cooked just right, and even the mushy peas, not normally a friend of mine, were tasty. I’m afraid to say I only managed about a third of it, but that was due to its sheer size and in no way a reflection of the quality.

My parents were more adventurous – Dad opting for the Beef Carpaccio, which although supposedly a starter was plenty big enough, and my Mum went for my second choice, the Pork Belly which was equally acceptable – tasty and tender, and was served with mustard mash and an enormous helping of side vegetables:


I was very impressed with our lunch… although despite not finishing off our meals, we did rather waddle out of there… perhaps we should have asked them to save the leftovers our lunch for us for when we return next time… and I’m pretty sure there will be a next time….

The Sportsman’s Inn, Rochdale Rd, Greetland, W Yorkshire, United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment