Monday, January 7, 2008

Christmas Lunch

Christmas lunch, and as we were in Singapore and away from the family, we joined a group of friends at the Mandarin Oriental's Melt restaurant for a champagne-fuelled buffet, in place of the usual Roast Turkey and all the trimmings.

It's hard not to enjoy a meal that is accompanied by as much champagne as you can drink, but I have to say we were slightly disappointed with Melt's buffet selection. We've stayed at this hotel before when we've been in Singapore on holiday and their breakfast buffet is among the best I’ve ever had, anywhere in the World, so we were expecting great things. I’m afraid to say that it just didn’t live up to expectations, and their champagne brunch just wasn’t as good as the others we have tried at the Fullerton or at the Sentosa Resort.

They had a decent seafood and sushi selection, but there was nothing there that begged me to return for seconds, as has happened at other buffets, and I was told that the Indian selection was fantastic although I didn’t try any myself.



Being Christmas Day, we were keen to track down the Roasts and they had a choice of Beef, Ham and Turkey, all of which looked amazing and had been cooked perfectly. But the biggest disappointment of the day was the accompaniments – the main one being that there were no roast potatoes! No roast potatoes to go with the turkey on Christmas Day? How could they do this to me? I mean, seriously, that’s like having a burger without a bun… or fries without ketchup… to say we were heartbroken is an understatement. In fact I still don’t think I’ve recovered yet…


Anyway, onwards and upwards… We finished off with some nice cheeses (again a smaller selection than previous brunches we’ve sampled)


and desserts (again…) and did find solace in some scrumptious little chocolates reminiscent of Jaffa Cakes.


Next year, I’ll be back in the UK for Christmas, and my mouth is salivating at the prospect of Turkey with all the trimmings already… yes, including roast potatoes…


No comments:

Post a Comment