Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Farewell Dinner

It was my last night in the UK on my visit to my parents, so we treated ourselves to a meal out. It being a Monday night, several of the local restaurants were closed, but we did manage to seek out Brooks Restaurant in nearby Brighouse.

This is one of those restaurants with a separate bar area, where you can relax over a drink while you look at the menu and then move through to the dining area once your first course is ready, which is always a nice touch. There were lots of interesting choices on their daily-changing menu – mostly using fresh local ingredients, with international influences.

Although none of us braved the Spam Fritters for which Brooks is famous, we did manage to choose some superb dishes. Starting off with:
Warm Filo Moneybags – these are another signature dish for the restaurant, and although tasty they were slightly too stodgy with the Garlic Cream Sauce soaking into the Filo Pastry, together with the Mushrooms and Brie.



Melon with Fruit Sorbet – not much you can say about melon, but the sorbet here was delicious, really fruity and light.


Seared Scallops with a Savoury Pannacotta, Bacon and Crispy Onions. Although I didn’t try this one myself, I was assured by my Dad that it really was fantastic – well cooked scallops, a fish-based pannacotta and the bacon and onions finishing it off perfectly.


For mains, I opted for Fish of the Day – this was two fillets of fish –one a Seabass, and I’m afraid I can’t remember the other, but they had been simply grilled with Balsamic Vinegar, Lemon and Herbs and served with Tomato and Capers. Perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned, perfectly delicious.


The Grilled Pollock was an equally generous portion and was presented with a Spanish twist, with Chorizo, Paprika and Manchego Cheese.


Whilst the Roast Goose Breast was an enormous portion of beautifully roast goose with Spiced Apple Puree and Caraway Seeds. These main courses were also served with hugely generous portions of vegetables and Potato Dauphinoise.


None of us really had room for dessert, but my Mum can’t go out for dinner without one, so she ordered the Cherry Meringue, a light crisp meringue, served with Kirsch-soaked cherries (try saying that after a glass of wine!) and an awesome mousse (which I just couldn’t help from sticking my spoon into, despite it not being my dessert)…


It was a fantastic meal and a lovely end to a trip back in Blighty… unfortunately it was definitely UK eating-out prices, but if I just pretended the pound sign was a Singapore dollar, it didn’t hurt so much… and anyway, it was definitely worth every penny…

Brooks Restaurant, Brighouse, UK - http://www.brooks-restaurant.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment