Friday, December 21, 2007

Noodle Soup

I love a good noodle soup it’s something I constantly craved for lunch when I was living in the UK, following several holidays through Asia. Now that I’m living in Singapore I have it for lunch at least once a week.

I once again found myself up on Orchard Road doing my Christmas shopping, and this time made my way up the escalator to Food Republic at the top of Wisma Atria. Today’s stall of choice was Formosa Delight, tucked away in the back corner, and the soup of choice was a Dao Xiao Mian with Chicken.

Half the fun was watching them make this dish – slicing off thick shreds of noodle from a large ball of homemade noodle dough and dropping them into an enormous wok of boiling water. Then in went the Pak Choi and given a good stir, before it was all ladled out into steaming bowls of clear chicken broth and topped with marinated fried chicken and mushrooms.

It was pretty good too, although those big thick noodles can get a bit stodgy after a while. I can imagine I shall be returning on many an occasion to satisfy my noodle soup craving.

I love having lunch in the hawker stalls and food courts here, squeezing myself in on a table amongst school kids, old ladies and businessmen, watching people reserving their places with packets of tissues, umbrellas, shopping, even mobile phones… do you have any idea how long a mobile phone would last on a table unattended in a fast food joint in the UK? About 30 seconds, before some scoundrel (or ‘wee raj’ as they like to say in Scotland) swiped it.

So it was sitting over my Dao Xiao Mian that I had one of my ‘Singapore moments’… where I think how great Singapore is and how lucky I am to be living here… they happen to me about two or three times a week… and quite often when I’m tucking into some dish or other…

Formosa Delight, Stall 14, Food Republic, Wisma Atria

No comments:

Post a Comment