Thursday, September 18, 2008

Over-priced Chicken Rice

Chatterbox at the Meritus Mandarin hotel always gets mentioned in magazines, blogs, travel books etc etc, and yet despite being up on Orchard Road several times a week, I have never ventured in there. Recently, however, its well-publicized move to the 38th Floor finally tempted me over the threshold.

First things first – the view is impressive. We can quite often be found making use of the New Asia Bar’s happy hour, especially when we have visitors in town, and Chatterbox’s view certainly gives it a run for its money. Granted it’s not as high as the New Asia Bar, but this actually gives you a better sense of perspective over the buildings, and it also has a better outlook.

Now back to the food – Chatterbox has made its name serving up an array of hawker favourites in a modern and comfortable atmosphere. Its reputation, however, seems to have been gleaned from one dish and one dish alone – its Mandarin Chicken Rice. Obviously I had to try it – despite the outrageous price tag ($24.00++ for chicken rice anyone?!)…

but not before my ever-present Satay cravings got the better of me:



The Satays were okay, but no better than I’ve had from any hawker centre, and hugely more expensive (perhaps you pay for extra for the presentation of the cucumber and onion kebab and the pandan wrapped rice cakes).



So, on to the famous Chicken Rice – well it was a huge portion, no way I was going to finish it, and rather nicely presented (although that felt wrong somehow!)



and yes it was tasty – the chicken was succulent, the rice well flavoured, the soup tasty although rather overly peppered.



So probably one of the best chicken rices I’ve tasted… although I’m still not sure about that price tag!



And while I’m having a moan about the price tag – guess how much they charge for a cup of Jasmine Tea? I'll tell you - $8.00++! And it came in a mug with a Twinings tea bag….

I’m glad I waited to come here until the move to the 38th Floor. Somehow the view made up for the outrageous prices. I’m not sure I will return here in a rush… although if we have visitors in town, it would certainly be an option for lunch… but mainly because of the view…

Chatterbox - http://www.meritus-hotels.com/hotelresort/meritus_mandarin/dining/chatterbox.htm

Meritus Mandarin Hotel, 38th Floor

No comments:

Post a Comment