Friday, June 6, 2008

Hokkien Fried Prawn Mee

I was in Vivocity with a noodle craving. So my choices were a) go upstairs to Food Republic or b) go downstairs to Kopitiam/Banquet. This time I chose upstairs and Food Republic. The first time I came here I have to say I was a bit put off by the ‘historical’ ambience they have tried to create with the quaint wooden stalls, complete with lanterns, wooden furniture and traditional Chinese music. However, over time I’ve come to appreciate the fact that it isn’t all plastic furniture and fluorescent lighting like most food courts– and it certainly doesn’t put anyone else off either – this place is always rammed.

There are around 30 food stalls here, but every time I come I always see people eating the Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee from Yong Heng… but I’ve never tried it myself. So, this time I joined the ever-present queue and took some time to watch the chef at work, while I waited my turn to be served.



I do like to watch the chef in action cooking up my food – here he was tossing the noodles around in his giant wok, throwing in the pre-cooked squid rings, followed by some fried egg, beansprouts and finally the prawns were added to each dish on serving. Meanwhile we were all standing in the queue salivating (and jostling to get to the front).


It was pretty tasty – it had a nice prawny flavour to it, presumably from the stock the noodles were cooked in, and was even better with some of the chilli sauce stirred into it. So yes, I enjoyed my lunch… but I’m still not convinced that it deserves its 'fame' and I’m sure there are better Hokkien Prawn Mees to be had on the island…

Yong Heng Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee, Food Republic, Vivocity

No comments:

Post a Comment